Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 2 of abstinance

I am reading the book, Health Food Junkies  by Steven Bratman, MD.  In the book, he describes Orthorexia Nervosa, a term he coined.  By definition, orthorexia is an obsession.  Steve writes in his book, "For many orthorexics, eating food becomes the only way to feel happy."  I don't believe that eating brings happiness.  I believe it is more like a feeling of being high, as with any addiction  And I think the same feeling can occur with the avoidance of food as well as with eating food, as well as when talking about avoidance of food or eating, or for some reading about certain topics.  I found that I have that feeling when I am reading about health, or diet related to health or any topic related to my own health issues and food, or nutritional supplements.  The feeling is very similar to the feeling I got when I was anorexic and avoided all food.  It feels like I am invincible.  And very little of anything else matters at those moments.

I could speak about this from a biochemical standpoint.  There are certain neurochemicals called neurotransmitters that may be playing a role in how people feel during these times.  This is a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment